It seems like these days the only time we see our family is during holidays or special occasions, and we for some reason don’t just get together for fun anymore.
Well, throwing a rock painting party is not only the perfect way to get your friends and family involved in the hobby, but also a great way to spend more time together doing something that we all enjoy!
Here are some fantastic tips on how to throw your own rock painting party!
1. Make sure that you have enough supplies!
Everyone coming to your party should have their own –
- Paint brushes (One large, and one small at least)
- Small Paint Palette
Depending on how many people there are you will also need plenty of –
- Mod Podge
- Clear Gloss
- Water Cups
- Paper Towels/Rags
- Handheld Fans (For Quicker Paint Drying)
Everyone can share these for the most part, just make sure you have enough.
2. Make sure you have room!
The best places to have a rock painting party are outside at picnic tables, or in a park, but that isn’t always possible. Most of us are going to be hosting these parties in our homes, so we want to make sure there’s enough room for everyone to paint comfortably.
It’s nearly impossible to paint a rock on anything but a table, so you’ll need a good amount of space and plenty of chairs.
Make sure that you lay down news paper or a disposable table cloth that you don’t mind ruining, because paint gets messy, especially if there are kids involved!
3. If you already have an idea of who may want to come to your party, then you’ll most likely want to give them a basic explanation of the activity if they’re unfamiliar with rock painting.
Communities usually start with friends and family and then expand very quickly from there. Show them pictures from a Facebook group such as North East Ohio Rocks, or you can share this website with them to give a better explanation and get them interested.
If you want more rocks to find in your area, then all you have to do is spread the word!
4. After you’ve got the supplies, the space, and some interested friends, you can treat this party like any other! Have some music ready, make it a potluck and have your friends each bring an appetizer or dish. Make it rock or art themed even! Anything you want to add to the enjoyment or activities.
If kids will be involved, have pictures of their favorite characters ready so they can copy them when they’re painting. You may want to have some other picture ideas for the adults as well to spark their creativity.
My favorite thing to do is make a bunch of rocks following the same theme. Like flowers, animals, cartoons etc… for example.
You can do this as well at your party.
Have everyone agree on a theme such as The Simpsons, and each person can paint a different character from the show!
You can also play games like this one for example:
Everyone paints half of a rock, and then passes it to their left until each person has someone’s unfinished rock. Everyone then finishes each other’s rock in their own way, creating a joined work of art!
I’ve also had parties where everyone already has an idea of what they want to paint, so there are a lot of possibilities here, it just takes a bit of exploring.
5. Once everyone is finished painting, adding labels and sealing their rocks, you can go out and hide them! Of course, each person could take their rock with them and hide it somewhere on their own, but it’s much more fun to go on a walk and hide them together!
Everyone can share their finished creations with each other, and a part of your party plan could be going to the local park and hiding your rocks in a group. You may even find some others while you’re there!
This is the best part of the hobby in my opinion. Getting outside together and staying active while spreading happiness to others is a great feeling.
All that’s left to do now is go back to partying and wait for someone to find them. If you’re good at hiding, it won’t be right away, so don’t forget to check your #hashtag on Facebook daily!